Saturday, September 8, 2007

Dublin Trip: Part 1



**More photos in WEB ALBUM on left**

I'm finally getting around to posting about my Dublin trip that took place last week. I had such a wonderful time and I wasn't sure what I wanted to say about it for a while. I was in Dublin the 27-29 of August to begin family research on a branch of my family. (I'll elaborate in another post.) This was the first trip where I was completely on my own - I traveled on my own, did not meet up with anyone while in town, and didn't attend a convention or workshop. It was great! I only had to worry about myself and my own schedule. You all know how organized I am, but I tried to keep it light this trip. The important thing was that I needed to be cognisant of the opening hours for the records offices.

I stayed at the wonderful Albany House Hotel on Harcourt Street. It is a quaint Georgian building with 25+ rooms. It is within a few minutes walking distance of Grafton Street Shopping, St. Stephen's Green (park), and Stephen's Green Shopping Centre. I highly recommend this should you be in Dublin overnight. Everything in the city centre is within walking distance, which is how I got around most of the time. Some of the other main attractions, like the Zoo and Guinness Brewery, are better left to other modes of transportation. Since I was there on a fact-finding trip I did not allow a lot of time for sightseeing. I did get to see a lot of the city through my daily walking and I also took a Hop-on Hop-off bus tour. Instead of hopping off at the attractions, though, I stayed on for the entire ride just to get a sense of the entire city. It was wonderful! The first evening I ate in a traditional Irish pub, of course, and had Irish Beef & Guiness Stew...yummmm! I'm saving the Guinness tour for when Matt can join me.

One funny thing that happened is that I ran into two couples on the bus tour that were on the plane with me from London. I recognized them on the bus and chatted with them for a while before they got off. I found out that they would also be on the flight with me heading back. However, before the return trip I ran into them again in town. What a small world!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. (If he will be possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).

elizabeth said...

hi! i just found your blog today and have read a few of your posts...i am an adpi alumna from kentucky currently living in london and studying music on the post-grad level. just wanted to drop in and say hello -- i'm always looking for kindred spirits and like minds when away from home, particularly those of the adpi variety!

OBIC,
elizabeth

amjackson said...

So why didn't I get the memo that you had a blogspot??? Well I am glad because now I can keep up with your exciting life abroad!! :)