Sunday, March 23, 2008

Long awaited trip to POLAND!


I finally got to join Matt on a trip to Poland. We were there 2-7 March. The area we stayed in is called the Tricity - which consists of the three cities Gdynia, Sopot, and Gdansk. Matt's office is in Gdansk and we stayed in Sopot at a resort hotel on the sea. The sea I am referencing is the Baltic Sea. Poland is probably best known for two things - Amber and Vodka. Great for me! In fact, Gdansk is known as the world capital of Amber. Sadly, I did not bring home any Amber jewelry as anticipated. Reason for me to return this summer! Vodka is my liquor of choice, so I enjoyed tasting the varieties in the area. We stocked up on a few bottles in duty-free at the airport on our return journey. While Matt and I did teach ourselves a bit of Polish, I was most amused when Matt ended up speaking German to our first taxi driver as that was the only common language between the two.

We flew out Sunday morning and took a taxi from the airport to the main train station in Gdansk. We stored our bags at the station and took a train to Malbork to tour the Malbork Castle. Malbork Castle was built/founded by the Teutonic Knights in the 13th century and is listed as one of UNESCO's World Heritage Sites today. While it rained on us a bit, we didn't let that damper our visit.


Malbork Castle

We stayed at the Grand Hotel in Sopot. Highlights of the hotel are: free internet, flat screen tv (w/a few english channels), spa, workout room (which I didn't take advantage of), indoor pool, and sauna. The Polish staff was very friendly. In fact, I have to say that the Polish people as a whole seem to be very friendly and welcoming. That is why I particularly enjoyed their visit to London back in the fall. It was very nice to see Matt's Polish colleagues again.


Grand Hotel, Sopot

Beach in Sopot

Each evening we ate dinner with one set or another of Matt's colleagues. During the day, though, I was on my own. On Monday, I stayed in Sopot and went on a self-guided tour using my guidebook. (It is always helpful to do your research before you go on a trip and bring along a guidebook.) It was sunny but very windy, as to be expected on the coast. I walked from the "Opera in the woods" all the way to the end of the Sopot Pier. For dinner that evening, we ate at Sioux Classis on the Monte Cassino in Sopot - which is quite odd being a western-style restaurant in Sopot complete with prairie decor and western fayre (with a bit of mexican and egyptian menu items).


The "Crooked House" on Monte Cassino, in Sopot

On Tuesday, I took the train into Gdansk and my first stop in town was the Amber Museum. It was fascinating to see all of the items made out of Amber. Following that, I took the "royal walk" down to the waterfront. I have loads of pictures of that area, which include many of the medieval port crane. I also hit one of the shopping malls for some window shopping before heading back to the hotel. That evening we went up to Gdynia for dinner at the Barracuda. A delightful seafood restaurant. We ended the day with a nightcap back at the hotel.


Jewelry Box made of Amber @ Amber Museum

Gdansk waterfront

On Wednesday, I kept my day pretty laid back. I got a massage, a pedicure, and a manicure in the hotel spa. It was only slightly more expensive than it would have been in the States, but I did feel a little guilty for pampering myself while Matt was hard at work. I met with one of the Polish employees for appetizers before heading off to dinner with Matt and others.
On Thursday it rained all day. I decided to just stroll around the new large shopping galeria in Gdansk to avoid a downpour of a day. Ending the week, we flew back to London on Friday morning. Overall it was a wonderful trip, for me, and I do hope to return in the summer when the resort is in full swing. Hopefully Matt will be able to have a little fun next time around!



More wonderful pictures can be viewed at
http://picasaweb.google.com/amber.biviano/Poland

2 comments:

amjackson said...

WOW!! You have quite the life. All these foreign travels are amazing to me. Wish we could come visit you but taking a 2 year old and newborn on a plane is not my idea of fun!! :) I guess I'll just visit your website and travel thru you! :)

Amanda said...

I enjoy reading your posts, and love seeing all the pictures of different places you have been. Keep posting! :o)